The Department of Economics started functioning from 1954-55 with other six Departments.
Initially, the Department started its academic activities in Rajshahi College led by Mr. Md. Tozammel Hoque.
At that time, there were three other teachers namely Mr. Md. Moazzimul Haque, Mr. R.H. Khondoker and Mr. Shamsul Islam. In 1961, the Department shifted from Rajshahi College to First Science Building in Rajshahi University Campus. In 1965, it shifted to Momtaz Uddin Kala Bhaban, where it is still functioning.
The Department started with a two year honours program, which was converted to a three year honours program later. Since 1998, the Department introduced a four year honours program along with one-year Master’s program. The M. Phil and Ph.D. programs are also run by the Department. Several students have earned these degrees from the Department.
At present, the Department has 600 students and thirty teachers.
The Department is maintaining a good range of extracurricular activities comprising sports and other cultural and literary activities.